At Scientists in School, respect for the views and needs of our colleagues, customers, supporters and partners is a core value. One aspect of this is our commitment to protecting your privacy and the confidentiality of any information we collect.
The SiS website is intended to serve as a tool to inform users about Scientists in School and its programs, and to give teachers, parents, community organizations and individuals an opportunity to become involved with our organization. It is also intended to help us maintain strong relationships with our customers and supporters, build a strong constituency and raise funds to support our mission of igniting scientific curiosity in young people.
In using the SiS web site you may, if you choose to do so, provide your name, contact information and other information for purposes appropriate for a customer-server or a donor-charity relationship. In return, we will do our utmost to be accountable and transparent in how we treat the information you choose to share with us.
SiS complies with and strives to exceed the legal requirements of Canada's federal Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act (PIPEDA) as well as Alberta's Personal Information Protection Act (PIPA). Here are the privacy principles by which SiS abides:
- Collection of personal information is always conducted in a professional manner and with your consent
- We always strive to ensure the integrity of your information is maintained and to prevent its being lost or destroyed
- We will make every reasonable effort to keep your information accurate and up-to-date. If the information we have collected about you is incorrect or incomplete, let us know and we will correct it right away
- SiS employees who perform administrative, recordkeeping and other services for SiS are familiar with the procedures that must be taken to safeguard confidentiality of donor and customer information. Procedures are in place to ensure that access to information is limited only to authorized personnel
- Information is not disclosed or shared more widely than is necessary to achieve the purpose for which it was obtained. We will never sell or rent donor lists or personal information to others. In the unlikely instance of any investigation by a local, provincial or federal official into potential unlawful activities on our website, SiS will share information, first ensuring that the investigation is by a legitimate authority of the law
- Information Scientists in School collects is used only for the purposes for which it was collected and to serve you better. With respect to the latter, SiS keeps its customers informed of program activities by mailing or emailing them occasional updates such as our newsletter or program catalogues or an invitation to participate in surveys or contests. SiS keeps its stakeholders informed of donor opportunities by mailing or emailing them occasional updates and appeals for support. If at any time you would prefer not to receive mail from SiS, please tell us and we will always honour your request
- When you respond to a survey or enter a contest, you provide Scientists in School with answers, opinions or other information. For surveys, SiS may use your submission to inform results that may be published in aggregate in internal and external reports. We may use your suggestions and opinions to improve our programs and services. For contests, your personal information will be used for the purpose of awarding a prize. When you participate in either, we may send you information about our organization that we believe may be of interest. As outlined above, if at any time you would prefer not to receive mail from SiS, please tell us and we will honour your request
- Online donations to SiS are made through CanadaHelps, Canada's premier giving site protected by SSL encryption, and verified by external audit firms. For further information, please visit: http://www.canadahelps.org/InfoPages/PrivacyHome.aspx
- If requested, we will give you access to the information we have about you
- If you have questions, concerns or problems about privacy or confidentiality, we encourage you to let us know. Contact SiS through your regional office and speak with the regional manager or coordinator. If for some reason you are not satisfied with the solution you receive, you may choose to contact our Privacy Officer at: 975 Dillingham Road, Unit 2, Pickering, Ontario L1W 1Z7
- All complaints are investigated and we will follow-up with you within 15 business days
- We regularly review our privacy practices to ensure that we are in compliance with Canada's federal privacy legislation and operating in a manner that upholds SiS's core values and your trust in us. This policy may be changed from time to time in our quest for continuous improvement. Any changes to our policy will be reflected in this posting and your continued use of this site will mean you accept those changes.
A. Use of Website or External Links
Scientists in School is not responsible in any manner for direct, indirect, special or consequential damages, however caused, arising out of your use of this website and/or any web browser, including any damages you may suffer if you transmit confidential or sensitive information to us or if we communicate such information to you at your request over the Internet.
There are links on the SiS website to other sites outside of our service. These are provided solely for your convenience. The operation and content of such third party websites is beyond our control, and we do not endorse in any manner or accept any liability for the content or other materials that may be contained on, or sold through, such websites.
Scientists in School endeavours to ensure that all information on this website is accurate or complete or current at all times. However, information is provided for informational purposes only and SiS cannot guarantee the accuracy, completeness, appropriateness for a particular purpose or non-infringement of proprietary rights regarding any information, materials or other documents, which are on, or referenced by, or linked to, the SiS website.
Under no circumstances will Scientists in School or any of its officers, directors, employees, affiliates, sponsors, or any other SiS stakeholder involved in creating, producing, or distributing Scientists in School's content be liable for any direct, indirect, incidental, special, or consequential damages (including but not limited to loss of profits, goodwill, use of data or other intangible losses) that result or arise from (a) the use of and reliance on the SiS website or the information thereon, (b) the inability to use the SiS website, (c) mistakes, omissions, interruptions, suspension, termination, deletion of files or email, errors, defects, viruses, delays in operation or transmission, or any failure of performance with respect to the SiS website, including without limitation those that result from acts of god, communications failure, theft, destruction, or unauthorized access to SiS's records, programs, or services, (d) merchandise, products, or services received through or advertised on SiS's website and merchandise, products, or services received through or advertised on any links provided on SiS's website, (e) information or advice received through or advertised on SiS's website and information or advice received through or advertised on any links provided on SiS's website and (f) any information, data, text, messages and other materials that you email, post, upload, reproduce, transmit or otherwise distribute using Scientists in School's website.
C. Intellectual Property Rights
The concepts, content, design, content, logos, graphics, audio and images on www.scientistsinschool.ca are, unless otherwise noted, the property of Scientists in School. You may download the content on this website for personal, non-commercial use only. Reference must be given to SiS and any other authors, where applicable. Hyperlinks to this site should be made to the home page only.
Images and photographs may not be reproduced, stored, made available, or transmitted without the express written permission of Scientists in School.
Scientists in School has made its best efforts to identify and credit content and images that are not the property of SiS. However, unintentional errors or omissions may have occurred. If this is the case, please contact our Executive Director at the address listed above. Images on this site may not be reproduced, resold, stored, made available, or transmitted without the express written permission of Scientists in School.
JOIN OUR EMAIL LIST
Image courtesy of the
Uxbridge Times Journal
We make every effort to properly credit all photographs on the SiS website. If you find any errors or omissions, please let us know.