Join us in helping children reach their full potential!
We are hiring 20 to 30 STEM enthusiasts with a background in science, engineering, and technology to lead our on-site classroom workshops in elementary school classrooms across the GTA, Guelph and Ottawa. Individuals with a Bachelor of Education or ECE degree may also be considered for primary grades.
Scientists in School is working to pique scientific interest, confidence and engagement throughout children’s formative years, engaging them as scientists in rich, fun and investigative workshops. We are looking for role models who represent the diversity of the youth we are engaging. All materials and training are provided.
Part-time with flexibility to set your own schedule, but all workshops happen Monday to Friday during the day. Workshops will be located within a reasonable distance of your location.
- Deliver high-calibre, hands-on Scientists in School workshops reflective of our mission and vision;
- Serve as a role model for eager Kindergarten to Grade 8 scientists, striving to create a highly inclusive, energizing, and safe space for all;
- Participate in training, presenter team meetings, and ongoing development opportunities;
- Communicate with teachers in a timely manner to schedule and confirm workshops;
- Updates Scientists in School’s workshop database as required;
- Maintain workshop kit and materials in a safe and professional condition;
- Adhere to safety guidelines as outlined in the Scientists in School’s Safety Manual; and
- Interact in a positive and professional manner with customers.
- Science degree preferred; BEd or ECE degree (for some positions)
- Knowledge and experience in the field of science and/or engineering
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Dynamic presentation style suitable for young people aged 4-13
- Ability to express ideas clearly to children and adults
- Excellent customer service skills; must be flexible, diplomatic and customer centric
- Able to move materials bins/equipment weighing as much as 22kg to and from workshop locations .
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a team
- Sufficient space to store workshop in home and transport in vehicle
- Valid drivers license and use of vehicle
- Use of personal laptop and proficiency using webmail, internet applications, and videoconferencing hardware and software
- Access to high bandwidth internet
- Bilingualism (French & English) is an asset
Scientists in School is a charitable organization with an unwavering passion for getting kids excited about STEM (science, technology, engineering and math) and environmental stewardship through rich, engaging, investigative workshops delivered in classroom and community settings. Founded in 1989, Scientists in School recognizes that early positive exposure to science is critical to instilling a life-long interest in science and setting young learners on the path to scientific literacy and a bright future. We offer both virtual and on-site delivery, and reached over 250,000 young scientists last year across Canada.
Please send your cover letter and resume to: email@example.com.
Scientists in School is committed to an inclusive selection process. As an equal opportunity employer, accommodations are available during all phases of the recruitment process. We ask that any applicants requiring accommodations make their needs known in advance.
Once selected, you will be required to apply for and obtain a satisfactory Police Records Check for the vulnerable sector. As a Scientists in School presenter, you can anticipate making a lasting impact in children’s lives.
We thank all candidates for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please.