Join us in helping children reach their full potential!
If you love science, enjoy working with children from Kindergarten to Grade 9 in school and community settings, possess excellent presentation and organizational skills, and enjoy the flexibility of managing your own work schedule, this opportunity may be for you.
We are looking for mature individuals to grow our in-person workshop team, who have a background in science, engineering or technology. Individuals with a Bachelor of Education or ECE degree may also be considered for some topics for the younger learners. These are part-time contract positions that have a volunteer component for preparation and communication, along with a paid component for the workshop presentations. There may be an opportunity for on-site workshop presenters to also be part of the virtual workshop team.
- Delivers high quality, hands-on Scientists in School workshops in accordance with Scientists in School’s mandate.
- Participates in our training program and in ongoing development opportunities, as recommended
- Communicates with teachers or community partners on a timely basis to schedule and confirm assigned workshops.
- Maintains an accurate record of workshop data through web-based application, adhering to organizational timelines.
- Submits expense reports to Scientists in School on a bi-weekly basis.
- Continually strives to enhance presentation skills.
- Maintains materials in a safe and professional condition.
- Participates in presenter organizational meetings. Shares ideas with other presenters through consultation and team meetings.
- Adheres to safety guidelines as outlined in the Scientists in School Safety Manual.
- Interacts in a positive and professional manner with school personal, or representatives from the hosting agency.
- Science degree preferred; BEd or ECE degree (for some positions).
- Knowledge and experience in the field of science and/or engineering.
- Strong organizational and time management skills.
- Dynamic presentation style suitable for young people aged 4-13.
- Excellent customer service skills; must be flexible, diplomatic and customer centric.
- Ability to express ideas clearly to children and adults.
- Able to move equipment weighing 22kg
- Proven ability to plan activities, work independently as well as part of a team
- Sufficient space to store workshop kit in home and transport in vehicle
- Valid drivers license and use of vehicle
- Use of personal laptop and proficiency using webmail, internet applications, and videoconferencing hardware and software
- Access to high bandwidth internet.
- Bilingualism (French & English) is an asset.
Scientists in School is a charitable organization filled with individuals who possess an unwavering passion for getting kids excited about STEM (science, technology, engineering and math) and environmental stewardship through rich, engaging, investigative workshops delivered in classrooms and other community settings. The children become scientists in school, under the guidance of visiting workshop presenters. Founded in 1989, Scientists in School recognizes that early positive exposure to science is critical to instilling a life-long interest in science and setting young learners on the path to scientific literacy and a bright future. Pre-pandemic, our annual student reach was 700,000 young scientists participating in 25,000 hands-on workshops with the workshops brought to their classroom by the visiting scientist. During the pandemic we launched an investigative workshop model where topic curated mini STEM materials bags were shipped ahead for the students to use, guided in a highly interactive virtual model.
Please send your cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Scientists in School is committed to an inclusive selection process. As an equal opportunity employer, accommodations are available during all phases of the recruitment process. We ask that any applicants requiring accommodations make their needs known in advance.
Once selected, you will be required to apply for and obtain a satisfactory Police Records Check for the vulnerable sector. As a Scientists in School presenter, you can anticipate making a lasting impact in children’s lives.
We thank all candidates for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please.