Have you caught wind of the latest wellness secret for children? Kids need a regular dose of Vitamin N, where ‘N’ stands for Nature. The great outdoors offers a plethora of reasons why our children should be exploring nature.
Here is why a regular dose of Vitamin N is so vital for our children:
- Physical Fitness and Activity: Outdoor exploration is a natural remedy for sedentary lifestyles, promoting physical activity and overall fitness in our children.
- Curiosity and Wonder: Nature is a catalyst for curiosity. It inspires kids to ask questions, make observations, and embark on a journey of discovery, nurturing a sense of wonder and awe about the world around them.
- Creativity and Imagination: The great outdoors is a playground for creativity and imagination. Nature stimulates young minds, encouraging inventive play and exploration.
- Educational Opportunities: Nature is an expansive classroom. Kids can delve into lessons about ecosystems, wildlife, plants, and the environment, making learning a dynamic and hands-on experience.
- Sensory Development: Outdoor environments engage multiple senses, contributing to the development of sensory skills. Feeling different textures, hearing nature sounds, and smelling fresh air all play a role in enhancing sensory perception.
- Environmental Awareness: Regular exposure to nature instills a sense of responsibility and appreciation for the environment. Children are more likely to become environmentally conscious and take active steps to protect our planet.
In addition to encouraging outdoor exploration, we offer educational resources that complement and enhance outdoor learning, helping children further appreciate the wonders of nature.
- Nature Video Series: Check out our YouTube channel for a captivating Nature Video Series. These videos bring the sounds of croaking frogs and honking geese alive allowing kids to virtually ‘visit’ wetlands, ‘smell’ trilliums, and identify bird calls.
- Environmental Workshops: Consider booking a workshop with an environmental focus. Our workshops promote environmental stewardship, deepen students’ grasp of STEM concepts, cultivate environmental awareness, and nurture a sense of responsibility for our planet. Below are three of our newest topics, but please visit our website to discover the complete list of topics available across Canada.
Take a Nature Trek
Go exploring with a hungry bear and investigate different habitats. Is it a bee or a wasp? Discover the answer using preserved specimens. Make a leaf rubbing to help identify a tree. Conduct an experiment to learn about fresh and salt water. Just a few of the things we will do, while taking a nature trek right inside your classroom!
Cycling Through Life
What do birds, mammals, insects, and amphibians have in common? They all complete a life cycle! Compare characteristics of each type of animal and experiment with adaptations in their coverings. Examine egg sizes and quantities while creating a habitat for care and growth. Play a feeding game and discover any metamorphic changes. Puzzle out your favorite animal sequence and identify the effects of human behaviour. Jump on the life cycle with us!
Dive into the world of wetlands! Discover who calls them home and how they influence their environment. Create a food chain, investigate adaptations and explore invasive species. Build a mini wetland, explore how it holds and filters water, and learn the importance of preserving this habitat. Wetlands are truly a wonder!
Let’s empower our children with the invaluable benefits of Vitamin N – because a dose of nature is the best prescription for a happy, healthy future!